Big Buddha, Lantau Island - Hong Kong


Getting yourself to Lantau Island, where you can hop on the bus or cable car to visit Big Buddha, is one of the must thing to do while you are at Lantau Island, Hong Kong.

Going to Lantau Island is easy as taking the MTR train. It took me about 40 minutes ride including interchange from Prince Edward MTR station to Tung Chung MTR Station to arrive the amazingly beautiful Lantau Island with just HKD $19.50 for a single trip ticket.



Upon exiting the train station, I head towards the bus terminal situated just past the shopping mall, directly next to the Cable Car terminal. Walked my way to hopefully be in time to board bus 23 to see big Buddha at Po Lin Monastery. It cost me HKD $19.50. It was Sunday morning. If you're there during weekdays, you will pay slightly cheaper as compared to weekends and public holidays for the bus fares.

The journey up towards took me less than an hour with passing through the hill and slopes overlooking the amazing view of the dam and beach. The bus stopped just outside of the entrance to Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery. Walking your way through the generals and with the help of signboard with direction, I finally found my way going up the stairs to Big Buddha. It was not a difficult one making my way up the stairs. However, do be careful if you are travelling with elderly people or children as the steps can be slippery during wet season, or when the cloud is covering your view.

Walking past the Generals before arriving to Big Buddha entrance.

There is an exhibition hall inside after reaching the top with an entrance fee of HKD $ 45. Which allows you to enter and walk up to the top layer of the viewing deck overlooking the view around Lantau Island.



As you can see, the weather was super cloudy and gloomy since it was raining earlier in the morning, besides me visiting during winter season. I was lucky enough to have a quick glimpse when the sun shines just for few minutes before hiding behind the gloomy clouds again.


A short moment of sun light then, it was cloudy again.

Once done with visiting Big Buddha, I made my way to Wisdom Path with again, the help of sign with directions. It is really easy to go around not only in Lantau Island, but Hong Kong in general.

Cloudy weather, not a clear view but it was still worth the visit

You can also consider in doing some hike or leisure walk with few trails available. As for me, I choose to go with the Lantau Peak Hike. Read more on it!

One of the many views from the top of Big Buddha.

Hope you can share your experience too and have a wonderful time in Lantau Island.

Comments

Popular Posts